There are a number of benefits to being active and living a healthy lifestyle. Being physically active helps reduce your risk for various diseases and health conditions, helps control your weight and generally helps you feel better and improves your outlook on life. Why not take advantage of the summer weather and go out and get active? In case you’re not sure where to start, here are a few tips:
- CYCLE-SKATE-JOG: There are a number of reasons to drive less and choose more active modes of transportation instead. One major one is physical health. Look for bike trails, walking and jogging paths and use these to get around when possible instead of driving. Not only will you be getting some physical activity in, but you might just enjoy your commute more. Of course, you can also cycle, jog or inline skate for pleasure as well. Many local parks and public areas have designated locations for these activities. Check out what’s available near you.
- PLAY A TEAM SPORT: As we mentioned, it’s easier to exercise when you’re having a good time with a group of people. If you find it tough to get up and exercise by yourself, why not get a group together and play a sport? You can compete with friends and family members or you can join a local sports team. Playing a sport is a fun way to get moving outside and it’s also good for your health. If you’re going to play a team sport, remember to wear proper equipment and to stretch and warm up properly before you start to play. Doing so can reduce your risk of injury.
- GET SOCIAL WITH EXERCISE: Rather than meeting a friend for dinner, coffee or drinks, why not meet up for a walk or a hike instead? Turning a social activity into an opportunity to get some physical exercise is a great way to improve your health while still having a great time. Gather a group of friends together and take turns suggesting what physical activity you take part in each week. For example, one week could be a hike, the next could be a game of soccer and the next could be a day of cycling. Having a rotating plan will allow you to engage in a wide variety of different physical activities all while enjoying time with your friends.
- MAKE IT A FAMILY AFFAIR: An active family is a healthy and happy family. Many people do not get enough exercise on a regular basis and this includes children. In fact, according to the Healthy Active Kids Canada 2014 Report Card, only 7% of children between the ages of 5-11 and only 4% of children between 12-17 get the recommended 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity per day. To help your entire family stay healthy, head outside for a fun day of exercise as a group. Go on a family outing to the park and spend the day playing, running and enjoying yourselves. It’s more fun to exercise when you’re having fun with the ones you love. Plan a family walk after dinner each night or make it a family tradition to throw an outdoor “games day” in the park every weekend. These activities will allow you to bond as a family while encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle.
- ATTEND A TOWN/CITY EVENT: Many areas have special events planned for Recreation and Parks Month. These events are often activities that can be enjoyed by the entire family. Not only is attending these events a great way to have fun and stay active, but doing so also helps you explore your neighbourhood and meet new people.
Looking for a little help to kick start your summer and avoid injury? Don’t hesitate to give us a call. Remember, at Physiomed…Healthier Starts Here.