This stunning dish is like a savory bread pudding studded with colourful spring vegetables and full of rich flavour.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound/250 g), trimmed and sliced into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) green peas, fresh or frozen
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 whole-wheat baguette or other crusty bread (8 oz/500 g), cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes (about 8 cups/2 L)
- 6 large eggs
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 cups (500 mL) nonfat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, lightly packed
- 2 oz (60 g) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup/125 mL)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tsp/5 mL dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in peas, remove from heat and set aside. Coat 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33-cm) baking dish with canola oil cooking spray. Arrange bread cubes over bottom. In large bowl, beat whole eggs, egg whites, milk and mustard together until blended. Add vegetable mixture, both cheeses, carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, tarragon and pepper, stirring to incorporate. Pour mixture over bread, making sure liquid saturates bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours. Remove strata from refrigerator, uncover and allow to sit at room temperature while you preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). (Do not keep at room temperature for more than 20 minutes.) Bake until set and top forms golden brown crust, 70-80 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 85 min.
Makes: 8 servings
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe provided by CanolaInfo.org).