You can’t go wrong with this sizzling combination of steak and veggies. Flank steak is a popular and easy summertime steak. Balsamic vinegar gives beef a rich flavour. Slice it thinly across the grain so that every bite melts in your mouth!
- 1 flank steak (about 600 g/20 ozs)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each sodium reduced soy and Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 pkg (170 g/6 oz) sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
Using a fork, pierce flank steak all over and place in a resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy and Worcestershire sauces, garlic, rosemary, oil and mustard. Reserve 2 tbsp (25 mL) and pour remaining mixture into the bag. Refrigerate steak for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Place mushrooms, onion, zucchini and red pepper in a large bowl and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place vegetables on preheated greased grill over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until tender crisp and golden. Return to bowl and drizzle with reserved balsamic mixture and toss to combine. Add spinach to wilt slightly; set aside. Place steak on grill turning occasionally for about 12 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove to clean cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Place steak over top of salad to serve.
Prep. Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Makes: 6 servings
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. EC. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation)