Here’s a hearty soup recipe that’s packed full of protein and just great for those cold winter days!
- 12 oz (375 g) trimmed boneless beef sirloin steak
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 diced carrots
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) 1% milk
- 1 2/3 cup (400 mL) lower fat shredded Canadian Cheddar or Swiss cheese or 3/4 cup (175 mL) regular shredded Canadian Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Pepper to taste
Cut steak into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. In large pot, heat oil over high heat; sauté and brown beef on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add garlic, carrots, onion and thyme; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onions are softened. Add mushrooms and barley and stir to combine. Stir in beef stock and Worcestershire; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
Increase heat to medium. Whisk flour into milk and gradually stir into pot. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 35 min.
Makes: 6 servings
Source: Dairy Farmers of Canada via www.heartandstroke.com