Here’s a quick alternative to the classic breakfast muffin. It’s an easy to make bar with a bit of an added nutritional boost!
- 500 mL (2 cups) bran cereal
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) shredded carrot (about 3)
- 250 mL (1 cup) 1% milk
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) drained canned crushed pineapple
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) plain 1% yogurt
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 egg
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) liquid honey
Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Line a 3 L (13 x 9 inch) metal baking pan with foil, leaving a 5 cm (2 inch) overhang at each end. Lightly grease foil. In a bowl, combine bran cereal, carrot, milk, pineapple and yogurt; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Whisk egg and honey into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Spread into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Using foil overhang as handles, remove from pan and cut into bars.
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (provided by Dairy Farmers of Canada)