Comforting chowder is even better with the bright colour and flavour of sweet potatoes and salmon. Serve with a slice of whole grain bread and a green salad for a complete meal.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried dill weed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled if desired and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk
- 12 oz (375 g) skinless salmon fillet, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, dill and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper for about 5 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in potatoes, corn and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Increase heat to medium. Whisk flour into milk and gradually stir into pot. Stir in salmon. Simmer, uncovered and stirring often but gently, for about 5 minutes or until salmon is firm and opaque and soup is thickened (do not let boil). Stir in lemon zest and juice and season to taste with pepper. Ladle into warmed bowls.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Makes: 4 servings
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe provided by Emily Richards, PH Ec.).