Reducing fat with meat is easy if you bulk up with vegetables. In this meat mixture, mushrooms add volume and fibre with great flavour to change up your taco filling.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 8 oz (227 g) extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin and dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 6 small whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until liquid starts to appear. Increase heat to medium high and add beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink inside. Stir in tomato, corn and parsley; cook, stirring for 3 minutes to heat corn through.
- Spoon into tortillas and dollop with salsa, if using to serve.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec.).