These zesty, healthy tostadas are sure to please the whole family with chicken, grilled tomatoes, garlic, avocado and just enough spice!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 1/4 onion, sliced in half strips
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, 12 oz (350 g), cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 3 tomatoes, grilled*
- 1-2 tbsp (15-25 mL) chopped pickled jalapeno peppers**
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile, chopped
- 4 corn tostadas
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- In sauté pan heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add half of garlic and sliced onion and sauté until browned. Add shredded chicken and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine tomatoes, remaining garlic, jalapenos, water, oregano and chipotle chile to make the salsa. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- To serve, warm tostadas and divide chicken mixture equally on each tostada. Garnish with red onion and avocado. Serve with salsa.
* to grill tomatoes, slice in half and remove pulp and seeds. Place face down on grill pan for 2-4 minutes.
** use fewer jalapenos if less spice is desired.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe and photo provided by CanolaInfo.org).