Chock full of vegetables and colour this satisfying side dish is delicious served alongside chicken or turkey for dinner. Use up leftovers in a salad and add some chickpeas and a splash of vinegar for a full meal lunch idea.
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 each red and yellow pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Combine quinoa, vegetable broth, orange rind and juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff into a large bowl; keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in carrot, zucchini, red and yellow peppers and cook for 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Add pepper. Stir into quinoa mixture with basil.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec.).