Prepare the wild rice up to 2 days in advance to make quick work of this gorgeous salad. A perfect accompaniment to any grilled or roasted meat, also a lovely side in a packed lunch. Serve warm or cold.
- ½ cup (125 mL) wild rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) celery, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) green onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen blackberries, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) toasted pecans, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until grains have started to pop. Remove from heat with lid still on and allow to stand for 30-60 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine rice, celery, cucumber and green onion. Prepare dressing: Whisk well or use blender to combine ¼ cup (50 mL) of the blackberries, red wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar and pepper. When ready to serve, in a large bowl or individual plates, place rice mixture on bottom, sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) blackberries, pecans and drizzle attractively with dressing.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 60 min.
Makes: 6 servings
Source: www.heartandstroke.com (recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec.).